Monday, February 23, 2015

Life without Online Dating





Life without Online Dating

During the final, awful years of my marriage, I remained faithful to my Ex, and really had no desire to stray and sow my wild oats. It was all about the kids in my mind. However, once the marriage was officially over, I was eager to get “back in the game.” I had dated before, not having gotten married until the ripe old age of 32. It was fun, and I had no reason to believe it wouldn’t be fun again at age 49.


As we all know now, this hasn’t been the case. On the contrary, it has been brutal. A few uplifting, satisfying moments scattered amid the chaos and destruction. My one year of online dating has been more discouraging and disheartening than my marriage that ended in divorce.

So I quit.

My Ex made the decision to end the marriage.

I’m making the decision to stop online dating.

It not only wasn’t worth the dollar investment ($72 for 6 months), it wasn’t worth the time or emotional investment either. One bad date was followed by an even worse one a few days later. There was no respite from the rain. While I remain in contact with a couple of friends I met online, by and large, I am done.

And it feels totally freakin’ awesome.

I am free.

I am back in control.

And my happiness is no longer being interrupted by encounters with people I barely know, most of whom are seeing therapists, taking medication, or both.

Free at last.

Free at last.

God Almighty, free at last.

I’ll give periodic updates so you know if my overall state of health continues to improve or I suffer a weak moment and renew my Match subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment